Historical notes about Hinton's Manor in Bluntisham, Huntingdonshire, England, UK
HINTON'S MANOR in Bluntisham may represent the two hides held by Aelfsicyld, which about 975 were not subject to forfeiture. In 1272 Henry Aucher had a grant of free warren in his lands in Bluntisham, and in 1276 Henry son of Aucher and Ella his wife granted lands in Bluntisham to Ralf de Hynton.
In 1279 Ralf de Hinton held of Henry 'Auger' and Ella his wife and they held of the Bishop of Ely a messuage and garden with demesne and other lands and a windmill in Bluntisham and Earith. Ralf held by the service of a quarter of a knight's fee and Henry and Ella by a rent of 3s. to the bishop, the payment of which rent had been transferred to Ralf. What is termed the manor of Bluntisham with lands in Hinton (co. Camb.) was conveyed in 1307, probably for a settlement, by Stephen de Offynton to John de Hynton and Isabel his wife, who in 1332 settled it on William their son. William died without issue, leaving a widow Isabel, who entered upon the manor apparently as dower. Ralf, brother of William, sued her in 1350 and obtained possession. Ralf de Hynton of 'Thetford next Ely,' and Sir John de Hynton, chivaler, his son, made a further settlement of the manor in 1366, and in 1392 Sir William Castelacre and others, probably feoffees on behalf of Sir John de Hynton or his representatives, obtained licence to alienate the manor in mortmain to the prior and convent of Ely.
This manor probably became known as that of STOKKINGS in Bluntisham, which was held by the prior and convent of Ely in 1539, when it was in lease to Thomas Dunholt. It was granted with the chief manor in 1541 to the dean and chapter of Ely, and followed the descent of the chief manor (q.v.), the Ecclesiastical Commissioners being the present owners.