Historical notes about the smaller manors of Bluntisham, Huntingdonshire, England, UK
A manor called since the 17th century BARNFIELD MANOR or FARM, belonged to the dean and chapter of Ely and was sold by the Commissioners for the sale of Dean and Chapter Lands to Giles Calvert, a London stationer. It was returned to the dean and chapter at the Restoration. A few claims were made under it at the time of the Inclosure Award, but the property being mostly leasehold was sold through the Ecclesiastical Commissioners after the Order in Council of 1870.
In BLUNTISHAM there is half a hide to the geld. [There is] land for 5 oxen belonging to Ramsey [Abbey]. There 2 villans have a plough. It is worth 5s.
(Note: Demesne - Land retained by the Lord of the Manor for his own use and TRE - Tempora Regis Eduardis - In the time of King Edward the Confessor.)
At the time of the Domesday Survey (1086) the Abbot of Ramsey had
half a hide in Bluntisham, which was assessed to the geld. This
is probably the land in Bluntisham held by Guy de Auco, a
tenant of Ramsey Abbey, early in the 12th century. It descended to
his son Gilbert son of Guy, the sewer (dapifer), who was dealing
with it in the time of Reynold, Abbot of Ramsey (1114–30).
Apparently it followed the descent of Stow Manor in Woodhurst
until the time of Simon, Bishop of Salisbury (1297–1315),
when the Abbot of Ramsey regained possession, and it
probably became absorbed into another of the abbot's manors.
The manors of Colne and Colne Dunholt extended into Bluntisham, but their descents are given under Colne parish.